Flooding may be a real hazard in your area of town. Properties upstream of the confluence of Novato, Warner and Arroyo Avichi Creeks are most susceptible to inundation during the 100-year flood event. Heavy rains in 1980, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989 and 1998 caused flooding and damage to buildings within these areas.
What You Can Do:
- Rake up and bag leaves as often as possible before storms. Leaves clogging storm drains are the primary source of most flood occurrences. Do not dump or throw anything into drainage ditches or streams—it is a violation of the City Code. Even grass clippings and branches can accumulate and plug channels and outfall structures. Blocked drainage ways simply cannot carry water, and when it rains the water has to go somewhere. Every piece of litter contributes to flooding.
- Clean drains around your home, including roof gutters, downspouts, drain inlets, pipes. drainage ditches and driveway culverts.
- Do not construct driveway ramps in street gutters.
- Always check with the Community Development Department or Engineering Division (899-8989) before you build on, alter, regrade or fill on your property. Permit(s) may be required to ensure that projects do not cause problems on other properties.
- If you do not have flood Insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from floods.
- Get at least three quotes on flood insurance.
During A Flood Watch:
- Listen to the radio for news; bring outdoor belongings indoors. If time permits, move valuable possessions to the upper floors or to safe ground. Be prepared to evacuate and if advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Report local flooding or severe runoff to the Maintenance Division (899-8280) or Police Department (897-4347).
During A Flood - Flood Safety:
- Listen to the radio for news; if told to evacuate, do so immediately. The Novato emergency radio station is 530 AM. Do not walk through flowing water. If you are in a car do not drive through a flooded area.
The above information is presented in an effort to remind all residents that flooding is a real hazard during the winter rainy season. Additional information regarding flood hazards in Novato, and possible floodproofing measures for structures, may be found at the Marin County Library, and on the City’s website. Should you have any specific questions regarding the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) please call the Public Works Department at 899-8246. Information can also be found in the lobby of the Novato Police Department.