These studies were prepared for the City as part of our legally-mandated application review process. The studies were funded by the applicants, and the City hired the consultants and directed their work. Note that three of the studies: Fields Needs Assessment, Visitation Projections, and the Economic Analysis, are based upon anticipated revisions to the original application which have been described by the applicants as a reduction in the tournament baseball field from 1,000 to 500 seats, the elimination of field lighting and the addition of another soccer field. To date, the City has not received the revised application.
The City anticipates hosting a community meeting this summer to have the technical studies presented by consultants who prepared them and to answer questions. All community meetings on this project will be advertised to the public and posted on this website. Please sign-up to get an e-notification.
1. Fields Needs Assessment - evaluates the current and future needs for athletic fields in Novato and the impacts of the Hamilton Fields proposal on any unmet local needs. The Fields Needs Assessment Study has been prepared by the Sports Management Group to:
- Inventory existing City and school district fields,
- Identify existing uses and forecast future demands for sports fields in the Novato, and
- Determine how the addition of the Hamilton Fields facilities would impact existing needs.
The study includes interviews with representatives of local sports leagues and also compares the proposed Hamilton Fields facilities with eight other regional sports complexes in California.
2. Assessment of Visitation Projections - provides projections of use of the proposed facilities by both athletic groups and spectators and projected attendance as compared with the information provided by the applicants. These projections will be used to analyze economic, traffic, parking and noise during the EIR process. This analysis, prepared by the Sports Management Group, offers both the seasonal schedules for field use and compares attendance figures from similar facilities. The analysis also estimates the proportion of local (Novato) residents which would use the facilities, compared with anticipated users from Marin County and outside the county.
3. Economic/Fiscal Impact Analysis - assesses the economic impacts to the community and tax revenues resulting from construction and ongoing operations of the proposed project. This analysis was prepared by Victus Advisors, LLC and includes estimates of direct and indirect spending, job creation and wages of both in-venue spending and ancillary visitor spending at restaurants, hotels and other service businesses.
4. Preliminary Traffic Impact Analysis (received February 2015) - determines potential traffic impacts based on the operation of the proposed sports complex on surrounding streets and intersections, including those adjacent to the Highway 101 on/off ramps. This study was prepared in early 2015 based on the original scope of the Hamilton Fields proposal. This study was prepared by Whitlock & Weinberger Transportation Inc. to identify any traffic impacts at local intersections that would not meet the City's intersection Level of Service (LOS) standards, and any major mitigation measures that might be necessary. This study will be revised based on project modifications, and incorporated into the environmental impact report (EIR) that will be prepared for the project review at a later date.