Welcome to the Maintenance Division
The Maintenance Division, a section of the Public Works Department, is a full-service maintenance organization responsible for all of the City's infrastructure. We maintain approximately:
- 144 miles of streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters and drainage;
- 2,350 drainage catch basins and drop inlets;
- 2 storm drain pump stations;
- 33 traffic signal systems;
- 255,000 linear of traffic lane striping;
- 5,100 square feet of street messages;
- 16,400 traffic signs;
- 32 acres of landscaped median islands and roadside landscapes;
- 23,000 street trees;
- 50 acres of developed parks;
- 22 acres of athletic fields;
- 1 swimming pool;
- 113,000 square feet of government buildings including: 53 offices, 28 restrooms and 23 meeting rooms; 1 gymnastics/teen center; 2 racquetball courts; 2 gymnasiums;
- 149 vehicles and large pieces of equipment; 150 pieces of small gasoline-driven equipment and 2 emergency generators.
We are responsible for the long-term care of all City-owned land and public buildings, as well as regular maintenance of streets, storm drains, pumping facilities, parks, median islands, roadside landscaping, street trees, vehicles, and equipment. The Maintenance Division also provides many additional "behind the scenes" services to the community, such as winter storm preparedness, emergency/disaster response, hazardous materials cleanup and disposal, and traffic management services. Many of the important projects in the community include regular services such as street sweeping, debris and leaf removal, graffiti elimination, hanging banners, providing compost material, placing holiday tree lights in the Downtown area and City Hall complex, and setting up facilities for public and private events.
The Maintenance Division comprises:
- Streets & Traffic
- Drainage & Pump Station maintenance
- Parks, Islands & Athletic Field maintenance
- Building maintenance
- Vehicle & Equipment maintenance
In addition to citywide maintenance, the division provides services to the Hamilton Community Facilities District for the levee, two pump stations, and roadside landscaping on the main thoroughfares in the former Hamilton Air Field and Rafael Village areas. Another key role of the division is emergency response, operations, and clean up.
415-899-8280 (main line)
415-899-8283 (direct line)
Note: In the event of a public works emergency (flooding, downed trees, etc.), please call the Novato Police Department at 897-4361.