Stay up-to-date on what is happening in your City of Novato:
- Sign-up to receive notifications via e-mail and/or text message on topics YOU CHOOSE including news, events, and City Council meeting previews and highlights.
- Check out our e-newsletter and sign-up to receive featured stories and information on city projects, programs, new initiatives, policy decisions, and helpful resident and business information.
City Council Study Session - Cannabis Regulations
City staff and representatives from MuniServices will conduct a City Council Study Session to discuss potential cannabis regulations on Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 6pm at City Hall, 901 Sherman Ave. The purpose of this study session is to:
- Explain the implications of Proposition 64;
- Discuss opportunities for local government to regulate or tax cannabis businesses;
- Learn about experiences from other states and California cities;
- Respond to questions and receive feedback from the City Council on policy questions; and
- Obtain community input.
On November 8, 2016, California voters passed Proposition 64, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) with support from Marin voters being among the highest in the state.
Beginning January 1, 2018, all nonmedical cannabis businesses must have a state license to operate. However, a state license may not be issued to businesses which violate the provisions of any local ordinance or regulation. AUMA authorizes cities to "reasonably regulate" cultivation of cannabis inside a private residence, and regulate or completely prohibit outdoor cultivation, cannabis retailers, dispensaries and delivery services.
This City Council Study Session will be live streamed and available to view any time on the City's website at novato.org/watchmeetings. Channel 27 will also live broadcast and replay the session.