Stay up-to-date on what is happening in your City of Novato:
- Sign-up to receive notifications via e-mail and/or text message on topics YOU CHOOSE including news, events, and City Council meeting previews and highlights.
- Check out our e-newsletter and sign-up to receive featured stories and information on city projects, programs, new initiatives, policy decisions, and helpful resident and business information.
Novato Police Department's Community Academy Now Offered in Spanish / La Academia Comunitaria de Policía del Departamento de Policía de Novato
The Novato Police Department is proud to present the inaugural Spanish language Community Police Academy. The Police Department and the City of Novato understand the importance of reaching out and having open communication with all segments of our community. During this session, the presentations and instruction will take place in Spanish by Spanish-speaking officers and civilian employees. The Community Police Academy provides community members with an inside perspective of how the Novato Police Department operates, introducing participants to a variety of law enforcement topics and contemporary issues affecting the community and law enforcement.
The Community Academy is a six week, seven session program. Each session will be presented on Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm, with the exception of a 5-hour field exercise training day, which will be held on a Saturday. The first session will be on Wednesday, October 4, 2017. To obtain an application, please contact the Novato Police Department 415.897.4361 or visit novato.org/communityacademy. The final date to submit an application is September 16, 2017.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet with the Chief of Police and Command Staff members and are encouraged the ask questions, express ideas, and develop a greater partnership between the community and law enforcement.
The curriculum for the Community Academy includes:
- A welcome and introduction to the Novato Police Department by the Chief of Police
- Community policing concepts
- Patrol procedures
- Investigative procedures
- Officer safety issues
- Use of force
- Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
- Ethics/Professional Standards
- Criminal laws/laws of arrest/legal issues
- Crime scene investigations
- Records management
- Property and evidence
- Special teams and units
In addition to the classroom curriculum, the students have the opportunity to participate in a ride-along with a Novato police officer. During the ride-alongs, students get the opportunity to view firsthand the challenging work our officers do every day.
Many Novato residents have participated in previous Community Academy classes (previously known as Citizen's Police Academy). The response we have received has been very positive and the past graduates have found the course to be informative and engaging. The Community Academy class size is limited so please submit your application as soon as possible. The Chief of Police will select participants through the application process who meet the following criteria:
- Minimum age of 18 years (must be at least a high school senior) and live or work in Novato
- Successfully pass a minimally intrusive background inverstigation
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no misdemeanor convictions within one year of the application
The Community Academy is a key element in the Novato Police Department's commitment to community policing and working in partnership with the community.