Stay up-to-date on what is happening in your City of Novato:
- Sign-up to receive notifications via e-mail and/or text message on topics YOU CHOOSE including news, events, and City Council meeting previews and highlights.
- Check out our e-newsletter and sign-up to receive featured stories and information on city projects, programs, new initiatives, policy decisions, and helpful resident and business information.
Recap of 4/25 City Council Meeting
** (note: following are highlights only; for more detailed information, please see meeting minutes)
Closed session was held prior to the Council's regular meeting -- No reportable action
The City Council presented two proclamations:
- The City Council recognized April 2017 as Fair Housing Month in Novato
- Members of the Novato Blue Ribbon Coalition for Youth were presented a proclamation recognizing April 2017 as Alcohol Awareness Month. The City of Novato is a member of the Novato Blue Ribbon Coalition for Youth, whose mission is "to positively impact the well-being of Novato youth through community action, policy advocacy and education, " with an area of focus on reducing youth access to alcohol and underage drinking in Novato.
The City Council also recognized Novato resident Marv Giambastiani for his dedication to volunteering for the Novato community--specifically, his 20 years of service and involvement in Nostalgia Days with the Downtown Novato Business Association, including being the event's Chair for the past 7 years.
The Novato Police Department gave a presentation on the Saved by the Belt Program--which is a nationally recognized program to raise awareness of the importance of wearing your seat belt and celebrates those individuals who were involved in a car crash and saved from significant injuries because they were properly wearing their seat belt. The Novato Police Department presented Novato resident Nancy Baca with a Saved by the Belt Certificate of Achievement for her life-saving choice of buckling up and setting a strong example for the Novato community.
Council approved items below with the following exceptions: Councilmember Lucan recused himself from Item 1 and Mayor Athas recused herself from Item 3.
Item 1 - Approved specifications and authorized bid advertisement for Measure A Group 8 & 9 - Contact 2: Pavement Rehabilitation, CIP Project #16-001 and #17-001; make findings that the project is exempt from CEQA pursuant to CEQA guidelines section 15301 (c) existing facilities.
Council received a presentation and provided initial comments on the proposed Operating Budget for FY 2017/18--including General Fund operating budgets, Measure F programs, Equipment Replacement Fund, and Staff presented highlights of each department's current year accomplishments and FY 2017/18 budget recommendations based on trends and key issues facing the City.
Upcoming budget workshops for both operating and capital budgets:
- May 9, 2017 - Council to provide final direction on budget
- June 6, 2017 - Proposed budget posted for Council and community
- June 13, 2017 - Budget Hearing and Council approval/direction
Video of meeting
Upcoming meeting: Tuesday, May 2 at 6pm
NOTE: As of April 4, City Council meetings begin at 6pm.