- Date: 10/10/2017 6:00 PM
- Location: Novato City Hall
901 Sherman Ave
Novato, California 94945
October 10, 2017
The City Council welcomes you to attend its meetings which are regularly scheduled on most Tuesdays at 6:00 p.m. Please check the Calendar at www.novato.org for exact dates. Your interest is encouraged and appreciated. For information about Public Comment periods and protocols, please see the reverse side of this page. Agendas and supporting materials are available on the Council’s website listed above, and are available for public review at the following location:
City Offices: 922 Machin Avenue, Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m.
The agenda is divided into three main sections, and includes other categories covering routine business. All references to “City Council” include those other agencies which may be listed at the top of the Agenda. The City Council may discuss and/or take action on any or all of the items listed on the agenda.
CONSENT CALENDAR: All matters listed on the Consent Calendar are considered to be routine and will be enacted by a single vote of the Council. There will be no separate discussion unless specific items are removed from the Consent Calendar for separate discussion and action. Any Councilmember may remove an item from the Consent Calendar and place it under General Business for discussion.
GENERAL BUSINESS: These items include significant and administrative actions of special interest and will usually include a staff presentation and discussion by the Council. They will be acted upon by a separate vote.
PUBLIC HEARINGS: Public Hearings are announced and advertised in advance to allow interested persons to make comments for, against, or otherwise, regarding a proposed project or decision. Anyone who challenges any hearing matter in court may be limited to only those issues raised at the public hearing described herein, or in written correspondence delivered to the City Council at, or prior to, the public hearing.
ADDENDUM: If urgent matters arise after the publication of the regular agenda, there will be an addendum. It will be posted at the above referenced locations by Friday at 5:00 p.m. the week before the meeting.
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS: Materials that are submitted to members of the City Council after the agenda packet has been distributed are available for public inspection in the City Clerk's Office, located at 922 Machin Avenue, during normal business hours. Such materials shall also be made available on the City of Novato website at www.novato.org, when practical and provided that City staff is able to post those documents prior to the meeting. A binder is available for the public at the meeting to view any distributed materials. Also, when non-confidential written materials are distributed to members of the City Council during a public meeting by staff or a member of the City Council, copies shall be made available to members of the public following that meeting.
DISABLED ACCOMMODATION: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the City Clerk at (415) 899-8900. Notification at least 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable accommodation to help insure accessibility to this meeting.
APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES: The Council may establish and make appointments to a Council committee (made up of two Councilmembers) with respect to any item appearing on this agenda.
PUBLIC COMMENT: All members of the public wishing to address the City Council are requested to submit a speaker card in advance to the City Clerk. The Mayor will call the names of speakers from the cards. In addition to receiving comment from the public during the Public Comment period, the Mayor will recognize persons from the audience who wish to address the City Council on a particular agenda item, at the time that item is considered by the City Council. There is a three minute time limit to speak although the Mayor may shorten the time based on the number of speakers. A speaker may not yield his or her time to another speaker. For issues raised during Public Comments that are not on the published agenda, no action can legally be taken. The City Council may direct that the item be referred to the City Manager for action or may schedule the item on a subsequent agenda.
The Mayor has the authority to rule any speaker out of order, including speakers during the Public Comment period, if the subject raised is not within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council, or during a public hearing or a general business item if the speaker is not presenting testimony or evidence relevant to the matter or if the speaker becomes disruptive to the proceedings and conduct of the meeting.
The Mayor also has the authority to order any person who willfully interrupts the meeting to be removed from the room. All persons are expected to conduct themselves with civility and courtesy at all times. All persons giving comments shall speak directly to the Council and address issues, not individuals. Personal attacks, cursing and outbursts from the audience in support or opposition to a speaker are not tolerated in order to foster an environment where everyone feels welcome to speak.
922 Machin Avenue
Novato, California 94945
NOVATO CITY COUNCIL MEETING
to be held at
NOVATO CITY HALL
901 SHERMAN AVENUE
October 10, 2017
A G E N D A
A. CONVENE, PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, AND ROLL CALL
B. CLOSED SESSION ANNOUNCEMENT
No closed session is scheduled.
C. CEREMONIAL MATTERS/PRESENTATIONS
Presentation: Mayor for a Day Morgan Byers
Presentation: Novato Fire District Presentation
Presentation: Introduction of New Employees
Proclamation: Bullying Prevention Month
D. APPROVAL OF THE FINAL AGENDA
6:30 P.M. (Time is approximate)
E. REPORTS FROM THE CITY COUNCIL & CITY MANAGER
Each Council member and the City Manager have three (3) minutes each to report on any item regarding conferences or meetings, or his/her activities as needed.
6:45 P.M. (Time is approximate.)
F. PUBLIC COMMENTS
This comment session is for items not on the agenda or for items listed on the Consent Calendar. See agenda cover page for information about Public Comment periods and associated protocol.
6:50 P.M. (Time is approximate.)
G. CONSENT CALENDAR
1. WAIVE READING AND AUTHORIZE INTRODUCTIONS AND/OR ADOPTION OF ORDINANCES BY TITLE ONLY (Standard procedural action – no backup information provided.)
6. AWARD THE CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT IN AMOUNT OF $315,921.10 TO COASTSIDE CONCRETE AND CONSTRUCTION INC. FOR THE RETAINING WALL REPLACEMENT SIMMONS LANE AND SUNSET PARKWAY, CIP PROJECT NO. 14-007 AND AUTHORIZE CITY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAME
CEQA: EXEMPT PURSUANT TO SECTION 15301, SUBSECTIONS (c) & (d) EXISTING FACILITIES
7. ADOPT A RESOLUTION APPROVING THE PLANS AND SPECIFICATIONS, AUTHORIZING A BID ADVERTISEMENT AND FINDING THAT THE PROJECT IS EXEMPT FROM THE REQUIREMENTS OF CEQA PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 15301 EXISTING FACILITIES AND 15302 REPLACEMENT OR RECONSTRUCTION FOR THE PEDESTRIAN ACCESS TO TRANSIT & CROSSWALK IMPROVEMENTS (CIP NO. 18-002)
8. DECLINE A PRORATED GRANT AWARD OF $75,000 FROM THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT HOUSING-RELATED PARKS PROGRAM DUE TO INSUFFICIENT FUNDS TO COMPLETE THE PROPOSED PROJECT
9. ADOPTION OF AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF NOVATO AMENDING THE NOVATO MUNICIPAL CODE BY ADDING NEW SECTION 7-10 SHOPPING CART CONTAINMENT AND RETRIEVAL, RELOCATING SECTION 1-7 GRAFFITI PREVENTION AND ABATEMENT TO NEW SECTION 7-9 AND AMENDING SECTION 19.12.030 TABLE 2-7 ALLOWED USES AND PERMIT REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL ZONING DISTRICTS RELATING TO REGULATION OF GROCERY STORES WHICH PROVIDE SHOPPING CARTS TO PATRONS AND FINDING THE ADOPTION THEREOF EXEMPT FROM THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ACT (CEQA) PURSUANT TO CEQA GUIDELINES SECTION 15061 (b)(3)
H. UNFINISHED AND OTHER BUSINESS
No items are listed for this section
7:00 P.M. (Time is approximate.)
I. PUBLIC HEARINGS
11. PUBLIC HEARING AND ADOPTION OF A RESOLUTION AMENDING THE GENERAL PLAN LAND USE CHAPTER TO EXTEND THE EFFECTIVE PERIOD OF THE URBAN GROWTH BOUNDARY UNTIL CERTIFICATION OF THE NOVEMBER 2017 ELECTION RESULTS AND FINDING THE ADOPTION THEREOF EXEMPT FROM THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ACT (CEQA) PURSUANT TO CEQA GUIDELINES SECTION 15061 (b)(3)
12. PUBLIC HEARING AND INTRODUCTION OF AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 1 OF THE MUNICIPAL CODE TO ADD NEW SECTION 1-7 (ADMINISTRATIVE CITATION AND PENALTY) TO CREATE CITATION AUTHORITY FOR ENFORCEMENT OF CODE VIOLATIONS AND AMENDING SECTION 1-2 (DEFINITIONS)
8:00 P.M. (Time is approximate.)
J. GENERAL BUSINESS
14. PROVIDE DIRECTION TO STAFF ON PARTICIPATION IN THE DOWNTOWN STREETS TEAM "PUT YOUR CHANGE TO WORK" PROGRAM INCLUDING POTENTIALLY AUTHORIZING STAFF TO PROVIDE IN-KIND DONATIONS TO THE PROGRAM IN THE FORM OF INSTALLATION OF METERS IN THE PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY
K. COMMISSIONS, COMMITTEES AND BOARDS (CCB's) APPOINTMENTS
This section is used by the City Council to make appointments to fill vacancy/vacancies on their Commissions, Committees and Boards.
L. WORK STUDY SESSION
No items are listed for this section.
8:30 P.M. (Time is approximate.)
AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
I, Terrie Gillen, certify that on October 5, 2017, I caused to be posted the agenda of the open session of the October 10, 2017 meeting of the City Council of the City of Novato, California, on the City Community Service Board in the Police Department and on the City's website at www.novato.org.
|Back to Novato City Council